Windscreen wipers are an often overlooked, yet crucial component of your car. They work tirelessly to keep your windshield clear and free of obstructions, so you can see the road ahead. But have you ever wondered how often you should change your windscreen wiper blades? The answer is not as simple as you might think. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the factors that determine when to change your wiper blades and provide some easy-to-follow guidelines to keep your wipers in tip-top shape. So, whether you’re a seasoned car owner or a new driver, keep reading to find out everything you need to know about wiper blades and how to keep them in great working condition.
Why are wiper blades so important?
Windscreen wipers are an essential part of your car’s safety system. They are responsible for keeping your windshield clear, so you can see the road ahead, which is especially important in poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, and sleet.
Without properly functioning wiper blades, it can be difficult to see and this can lead to accidents. It’s important to make sure your wiper blades are in good working condition and replaced when needed.
What factors are going to ruin your windscreen wipers?
- Harsh weather conditions, such as heavy rain, snow, sleet, or extreme hot or cold temperatures.
- The type of blade material, rubber blades tend to last longer than silicone blades and beam blades are known for their durability.
- How often the wipers are used, regular use will wear out the blades faster.
- Quality of the blades, low-quality blades will not last as long as high-quality blades.
- How the wipers are stored when not in use, if stored improperly can cause damage to the blades.
- How well the wipers are maintained, regular cleaning and conditioning can prolong the life of the blades.
- The type of car you drive and the size of the windshield, different cars have different sizes of windshield and different shapes of windshields.
- The quality of your windshield will also determine how long your wipers will last.
It’s important to be aware of these factors and take steps to minimise their impact on your wiper blades. By taking care of your wiper blades, you can ensure they last as long as possible and continue to provide optimal performance.
How can you tell it’s time to replace your windscreen wipers?
There are several signs that it’s time to replace your wiper blades. The most obvious sign is streaking or smearing while in use. This can be caused by worn or cracked rubber. Another sign is chattering, where the blades make a loud noise while in use. This can be caused by a buildup of debris on the blades or worn out blades. Finally, if you notice any cracks or tears in the rubber, it’s time to replace the blades.
It’s important to keep an eye on these signs and replace your wiper blades as soon as you notice them, to ensure your visibility is not compromised and your wipers are working as intended.
How to look after your windscreen wipers
Proper maintenance of your wiper blades can help prolong their lifespan and ensure they are always in good working condition. Here are some tips for maintaining your wiper blades:
- Clean your blades regularly, using a clean cloth or paper towel to remove any debris that may have accumulated on the blades.
- Use a wiper blade conditioner to keep the rubber supple and prevent cracking.
- If you live in an area with harsh winter weather, remove the wiper blades from your car during the winter and store them in a warm, dry place to prevent freezing and cracking.
By following these simple maintenance steps, you can help ensure that your wiper blades last as long as possible.
How to choose the right windscreen wipers for your vehicle
When it’s time to replace your wiper blades, it’s important to choose the right type of blades for your vehicle. Here are some tips to help you choose the right wiper blades:
- Check the owner’s manual for the recommended type of wiper blades for your vehicle.
- Consider the climate in which you drive, as certain types of blades may be better suited for specific weather conditions.
- Look for blades that have a rubber or silicone coating for extra durability.
- Make sure to choose the correct size of blades for your windshield, different cars have different sizes of windshield.
By following these tips, you can be sure that you’re choosing the right wiper blades for your vehicle and that they will provide optimal performance.
Some common questions we get about windscreen wipers
- How often should I change my wiper blades?
It’s generally recommended to change your wiper blades every six months to a year, or as soon as you notice signs of wear and tear, such as streaking or chattering while in use.
However, this can vary depending on the climate and how often the wipers are used. If you live in an area with harsh weather conditions or a lot of debris on the roads, you may need to change your wipers more frequently.
Can I clean my wiper blades instead of replacing them?
Cleaning your wiper blades can help prolong their lifespan and ensure they are always in good working condition, but it will not solve the problem if the blades are already worn out, cracked or damaged. It’s always best to replace them in those cases.
Are there different types of wiper blades?
Yes, there are different types of wiper blades, such as traditional rubber blades, silicone blades, and beam blades. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and some may be better suited for specific weather conditions or types of vehicles.
Can I install wiper blades myself?
Yes, most wiper blades can be easily installed by following the instructions provided with the blades. However, if you are not comfortable with the installation process, it is always best to consult with a professional.
What do I do if one wiper blade is worn out and the other one is still good?
It’s recommended to replace both blades at the same time, even if only one is worn out. This will ensure that both blades are working at the same level of efficiency and will prevent uneven wear on your windshield.
Why having a quality windshield is so important
Having a quality windshield is not only important for your safety, but it can also play a crucial role in the longevity of your wiper blades. A windshield that is in good condition, free of cracks and chips, will put less stress on the wiper blades, as they will not have to work as hard to clear debris and dirt from the surface. A windshield that is in poor condition, on the other hand, can cause the blades to wear out more quickly, due to the added friction and resistance they will encounter.
Additionally, a quality windshield can also help to prevent water and dirt from getting between the blades and the windshield, which can cause streaking and smearing. This can make it difficult to see while driving and can also cause damage to the wiper blades over time.
Investing in a quality windshield is a smart move, not only for your safety but also for the longevity of your wiper blades.
Where to get your windscreen from
Dean’s Autoglass is the perfect choice for all your windshield and auto glass needs. With 25 years of experience, you can trust that our team of experts has the knowledge and skill to take care of your vehicle. Not only do we offer competitive prices, but we also provide a lifetime guarantee on all of our work, so you can have peace of mind knowing that your windshield is in good hands. And if you’re in a rush, we offer fast turnaround times and emergency services, so you can get back on the road as soon as possible.
We are able to work on all vehicle makes and models, from cars to trucks to caravans to heavy machinery. Our technicians are trained to handle any type of repair or replacement job, no matter the complexity. And if you’re unable to bring your vehicle to us, we also offer a mobile service that can come to you, anywhere you are.
Dean’s Autoglass is dedicated to providing our customers with the highest level of service and quality work. We understand the importance of a properly functioning windshield and we are committed to making sure you have a safe and clear view of the road ahead.
Contact us today and let us take care of your auto glass needs.